NOTICE: This photograph is reproduced courtesy of the North Otago Museum. No further copying of this image is permitted without their agreement.
This photograph shows the slatted wooden penstock made by the Australian Wooden Pipeline Co. The company was formed in 1914 in Lane Cove, Sydney and delisted in 1958.
The penstock is reported to be 3 feet in diameter and that looks right. It was a good part of 600 metres long. Some of the bands were, apparently, discovered in 2014 when road works were being undertaken in Cross Street but no-body thought to recover them!