Now called Wyvern Marina the Surrounding warehouses, some of the oldest buildings in Long Eaton, hint at an earlier industrial use as a coal wharf. The Midland Counties Railway built the basin in 1840 and used the site to transfer coal collected by barges from the Erewash Valley Coal fields to rail trucks often bound for London.
As more coal was transported by rail usage of the basin decreased and from 1854 the site was used as Midland Railways Sheet Stores where tarpaulins for railway wagons were made and repaired. Sacks and ropes were also made with the site employing over 200 people using land on both sides of the canal. By 1963 tarpaulins were no longer used on rail wagons and the site closed.