Old brick church St. John’s United Church 1872.
Many of first settlers came from Scotland or Northern Ireland.
In 1860, a student minister, J.K. Hislop, met with Adam Wrightman, Charles Scott, William and John Buyers, John Patterson, James Rose and William Mawhinney as well as their wives and children.
They bought a half-acre plot from Henry Fields for $80 and an adjoining acre to the west of it for $110. When William Fletcher, the founder of Alliston, first hiked through the area, he claimed to have sat down on that place to eat his lunch by a big pine stump on the property.
Construction started in 1861. William Fletcher had a sawmill on the north bank of the Boyne River.
All work was done by hand and by the fall of 1862 they had the prettiest little church in the area. Old photos showed it to be shiny white with a high steeple and sparking like a jewel in the new community of Alliston.