CIRENCESTER Gloucestershire

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Roy Pledger on November 4, 2011

The lock-up is situated in the grounds of the Cotswold District Council Offices in Trinity Road, GL7 1RP which is part of the former town workhouse. Key available from reception. It dates to 1804. Grade 11 listed. The lock-up was originally built in Gloucester Road in 1804 by a local builder at a cost of some £60. It fell into disuse in 1837 and was moved stone for stone to its present position where it was used as a refractory ward by the workhouse. It is now fully restored. The rectangular plan single storey building is built from limestone ashlar with vaulted roof. The oval roof sits on a shallow plinth. There are two square wooden plank doors giving access to two separate cells with high ventilation grilles.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Cirencester, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7, UK

Photo details

  • Uploaded on November 4, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger
    • Camera: SONY DSC-W170
    • Taken on 2009/06/03 01:11:41
    • Exposure: 0.002s (1/640)
    • Focal Length: 5.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.300
    • ISO Speed: ISO125
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • Flash fired

Groups