Two earlier Henrico County Courthouses stood in the intersection seen in the foreground of this photo. In 1848 the last courthouse to stand in the intersection was moved to this corner location to open the road to traffic. The building that was moved in 1848 was damaged by the fire of 1865 when Richmond fell at the end of the Civil War, but was restored and then replaced by this building in 1896. This building also housed other county administrative offices and was built when Richmond was still a part of Henrico County. When Richmond separated itself from the county this building was ceded as an island of Henrico County, within the City of Richmond, in order to maintain its county jurisdiction.