A notice outside this village pub at Ripley reads:
‘ This building was formerly the star Inn, one of three pubs in the village. It was the breakfast stop for the Leeds to Edinburgh charabanc, and its final licensee was Frank Smailes, the Yorkshire and England cricketer.
Sir William Ingilby, who had been a priest before he inherited the castle, disapproved of people drinking on the Sabbath. In 1919 he ordered all three landlords to close for that day. Facing the loss of their most lucrative day’s trading, all thee departed and Ripley was ‘dry’ for 71 years until the Ingilby’s opened the Boar’s Head Hotel in 1990. Just to show how times have changed, the Vicar came in and blessed the pumps on the opening night.’
The 'Boar's Head' is part of the coat of arms of the Ingilby family who still live at Ripley Castle.Thomaas Ingilby (1290-1369) was a Justice of the King's Bench and in 1355, whilst hunting with King Edward 111 in the Forest of Knaresborough, he saved the King who was under attack from a wounded and enraged wild boar, for which he was knighted and granted a Charter for a weekly market at Ripley.
In the early 19th century Sir William Amcotts Ingilby rebuilt the village in the style of a village he had seen in Alsace-Lorraine in France
and the quaint Gothic 'Hotel de Ville' still serves as the Town Hall.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Misplaced? Suggest new location