Attracted by economic opportunities, a large number of Italian immigrants came to Galveston in the 19th century. In 1876, they formed the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society (Societa'Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso) to provide assistance to fellow immigrants. The society purchased a plot of land in Calvary Catholic Cemetery in 1888 and built this mausoleum, known as the Italian Vault. The structure exhibits Gothic style influences in its buttresses, gargoyles, and Corinthian columns flanking the entrance. The vault provides space for twelve crypts. The vault also was used by members of the later organized Italian society, Stella d'Italia, and finally the Sons of Italy.
Sign in to comment.