The Ile Vierge is an 6-hectare (15-acre) islet lying 1.5 km (0.93 mi) off the north-west coast of Brittany, opposite the village of Lilia. It is in the commune of Plouguerneau, in the département of Finistère, the location of the tallest stone lighthouse in Europe, and the tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world. The International Hydrographic Organization specifies Ile Vierge as marking the south-western limit of the English Channel. About 1450, the Conventual Franciscans established an abbey on the island. The name ''Ile Vierge'' probably comes from a chapel dedicated to Virgin Mary. In 1507, the monks moved to Aber Wrac'h on the mainland. In 1844, the French state purchased the island. What a place!