Marko Monastery is a monastery located in the village of Markova Sušica, 18 kilometres (11 mi) from central Skopje in the Republic of Macedonia. The monastery bears the name of the Prince Marko who reigned at the time of its completion. Marko's Monastery has been active since its establishment. Construction of the Church of Saint Dimitry began under King Marko Vukašin in 1346. The church, including the interior paintings, were completed 30 years later. Before Ottoman rule, the monastery had a school and many monks and priests would write manuscripts. In 1392, Skopje fell under Ottoman rule, which led to the destruction of many churches and monasteries in the area. Marko's Monastery, however, suffered almost no damage. During the Ottoman era, in 1467/8 the monastery is recorded as having 20 monks. Kiril Pejčinović was the hegumen of Marko's Monastery from 1801 to 1818. In 1830, Ottoman aristocrat Hamzi Paşa added an exonarthex to the church.