The HARMAN MEMORIAL.
Edmund Harman had a large family, nine boys and seven girls, and their images are carved on his fine memorial in Burford Parish Church in Oxfordshire. Harman prepared the monument himself and part of the inscription, which is in Latin reads : ‘EDMUND HARMAN Esq. Whom God from his earliest years blessed with countless benefits, Put this monument to the Christian memory of himself and of his only and most faithful wife AGNES and of the 16 children whom, by God’s mercy, she bore him. 1569’ As barber and personal servant to King Henry V111 he was trusted to hold a razor to the King’s throat and once when he was ill with no doctor available, Harman successfully ‘bled’ the King. Harman was also a witness to the King’s will, a close servant indeed. Figures of Red Indians and strange fruits also adorn the monument which are thought to commemorate discoveries made by Harman’s brother on voyages abroad
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Burford, Burford, Oxfordshire OX18, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location