ST MARGARET'S CHURCH, Bodelwyddan, North Wales.

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (2)

Roy Pledger on December 9, 2011

War graves at Bodelwyddan.

Roy Pledger on January 7, 2012

Known as The Marble Church, St Margaret’s Church at Bodelwyddan in North Wales, was built in the mid 19th century by Lady Margaret Willoughby de Broke at a cost of £60,000. This finely ornate church, which took four years to build, is a spectacular landmark at the side of the A55 road. In the churchyard at the front of the church is a curious ‘war grave’ area of 117 graves with their white military gravestones. 34 of these are the graves of British servicemen who died during WW1 and the other 83 graves are those of Canadian Servicemen who died at the nearby Kinmel Park Military Camp. It appears that the majority of these servicemen died as victims of the Spanish flue pandemic of 1918-19. However there is much speculation over the fate of five of the Canadians. What is certain is that on 4/5th March 1919 a disturbance took place within Kinmel Camp, a staging camp, where Canadian Troops were waiting to be repatriated. The men were restless following repeated sailing delays, and when a ship, allocated to convey the troops back home to Canada, was diverted to carry food supplies to Russia, riots took place and in the mêlée three soldiers were killed and two died later of injuries. Apparently Courts Martial were held and some detentions were ordered. It had been said that the five Canadian servicemen had been executed for mutiny following the riots, but this has been strongly denied by The Canadian Department of National Defence.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 9, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger
    • Camera: KONICA MINOLTA DiMAGE Z3
    • Taken on 2007/07/26 07:11:11
    • Exposure: 0.020s (1/50)
    • Focal Length: 5.86mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO50
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups