A LA RONDE, Exmouth, Devon. (See comments box for story).

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Roy Pledger on December 17, 2011

In 1798, two cousins, Miss’s Jane and Mary Parminter, were so impressed by the Byzantine church of San Vitale in Ravenna which they had visited whilst doing a ‘grand tour’ that they built a curious round house on land overlooking Exmouth in Devon. The house, which actually has 16 sides, was probably designed for them by a relative and the cousins furnished it with collected treasures, especially shells, for which they constructed a special gallery in the roof. Originally thatched, the cousins intended that the house would only pass to female descendants, but in 1883 it was inherited by a clergyman who made substantial alterations to it when the roof was tiled and dormer windows were fitted. The house was lived in until the mid 20th century when it and many curious contents was purchased by the National Trust.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 17, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger

Groups