THE TOWN HALL, Todmorden, West Yorkshire. (See comments box for story).

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Roy Pledger on December 19, 2011

Todmorden is a tiny former textile town in the West Yorkshire Pennine Hills on the border with Lancashire. Actually this remote place was formerly half in Yorkshire and half in Lancashire until boundary changes in the 1888 put it firmly in Yorkshire. The showpiece of the town is undoubtedly its magnificent Town Hall, one of the finest municipal buildings of its size in the country. It was designed by John Gibson and when it opened in 1875, the building was half in Yorkshire and half in Lancashire, having been built astride the River Calder, the historic county border.
The carvings on the top pediment at the front of the building represent the farming and iron trades of Yorkshire on the right and the cotton trade of Lancashire on the left.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Todmorden, West Yorkshire, UK

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 19, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger
    • Camera: OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO,.LTD. C2Z,D520Z,C220Z
    • Taken on 2003/04/19 04:24:46
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 8.96mm
    • F/Stop: f/4.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups