THE OLD HALL, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. (See comments box for story).

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Roy Pledger on December 19, 2011

The Old Hall at Gainsborough in Lincolnshire is one of the most important surviving medieval houses in the country which is open to the public and has had a chequered history. It was built in 1484 by Lord de Burgh and remained as a residence until the 18th century. Since that time it has had an amazing variety of uses. It was used as a church whilst the parish church was being rebuilt, and as a soup kitchen following the Napoleonic Wars. It has also been used as a linen factory; as a corn exchange; as a mechanics institute; as a congregational church; as a theatre; as a public house; as a sale room; as a ballroom and as a Masonic Lodge; as well as shops and tenements. Fortunately this most unusual building has survived and is now in the care of English Heritage.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 19, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger
    • Camera: KONICA MINOLTA DiMAGE Z3
    • Taken on 2006/07/13 14:53:13
    • Exposure: 0.005s (1/200)
    • Focal Length: 5.86mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO50
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups