THE NAVVIES MEMORIAL, Otley, West Yorkshire. (See comments box for story).

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Roy Pledger on December 20, 2011

This small building which is a memorial in the shape of a Gothic tunnel entrance situated alongside the churchyard at Otley in West Yorkshire, tells us that : ‘ The Leeds and Thirsk Railway was promoted to provide a new route from Leeds to the north and on to Scotland. Having been given Royal assent on 21st July 1845, practical construction work commenced in 1846, the contractor James Bray, facing considerable technical problems in crossing the hills and valleys along the route. The greatest challenge was to cut the Bramhope tunnel 25ft high through 2 miles 243 yards of rock at depths up to 290ft. Some 2,300 men and 400 horses were involved in the work, all being subject to sudden falls of rock, subsidence, flooding and accidental death. One victim, James Myers of Yeadon, had the following lines inscribed on his gravestone : ‘ What dangers do surround Poor miners everywhere And they labour underground Thay should be men of prayer.’ This monument to those who died in the construction of the tunnel is based upon its northern portal, originally constructed in Caen Stone, it was first restored in 1913 by the North Eastern Railway Co. and again under the auspices of Otley Town Council and British Rail in 1988.’

The miners buried beneath the monument, 23 in all, are named. This railway is still in use today and the above mentioned northern portal can still be seen and also the very fine viaduct which carries to the railway away from the tunnel across Wharfedale.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 20, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger
    • Camera: SONY DSC-W170
    • Taken on 2009/09/23 11:21:37
    • Exposure: 0.010s (1/100)
    • Focal Length: 5.80mm
    • F/Stop: f/3.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups