BEVERLEY MINSTER. BEVERLEY, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE. (See comments box).

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Roy Pledger on December 27, 2011

The delightful East Yorkshire market town of Beverley was granted the Right to Sanctuary in 938 by King Althelstan and lasted for more that 600 years before being abolished by Henry V111. Penalties for most crimes were extremely severe in those times and miscreants could escape to places like Beverley to claim the Right of Sanctuary. This meant that they could live in the town free from punishment for the rest of their lives, provided they gave up their property to the Crown and swore to become a servant of the church. The Frith Stool, or Sanctuary Seat, can still be seen in the Sanctuary at Beverley Minster. This simple stone chair,more than 1000 years old, is one of a very few left in the country, and was used by the officer investigating such pleas.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo taken in Beverley, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire HU17, UK

Photo details

  • Uploaded on December 27, 2011
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Roy Pledger
    • Camera: OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD C2Z,D520Z,C220Z
    • Taken on 2002/03/15 12:35:49
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 5.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.50 EV
    • No flash

Groups