Peloponissos, Dimitsana - walking in the streets - FEB. 2012 CONTEST
Selected for Google Earth [?] - ID: 64270605
Dimitsana is built on the top of a hill at an altitude of 950 meters from the southern side of which provide wonderful views of the plain of Megalopolis and Taygetos. It is the head of the expanded municipality of Gortynia, and until recently was the seat of the municipality Dimitsana. The story begins during the Homeric times, when the place was the small town of Arcadia Tefthis.
It is a community with the villages of Paleochora and Karkalou and the monasteries of Aimialon and Philosopher, with a total population of 740 inhabitants. Dimitsana before the war had a double population, in 1960 had 2,000 inhabitants, but many Dimitsanites migrated and settled in America, Australia and elsewhere.
Dimitsana during the Turkish occupation played an important role in the "secret school" and in 1821 with "gunpowder Dimitsanitiko" manufactured. It is homeland of the martyr Patriarch Gregory V, whose statue dominates the main square, which was donated by Maraslis, and the Bishop Paleon Patron Germanos, where both houses are preserved.
In the museum of Dimitsana housed in the Library exposed textiles, looms, folk art and archaeological collections. Just outside of the village there is an Open Water Power Museum, which aims to highlight the traditional water power motion plantations, that were formerly very prevalent in the region.
In the place of the current Dimitsana was the ancient Arcadian city Tefthis which had participated in the Trojan war and the colonization of Megalopolis.
In 963 AD founded the Abbey of Philosopher 2.5 km outside Dimitsana. Dimitsana name was first mentioned in 967 AD in a patriarchal document relating to the monastery Philosopher. In 1764 a wise monk Agapios, built a library and moved the books from the monastery. The library grew continuously until 1821, because the Patriarchate gave new books to Dimitsana, where operated a bishop school that became known by the name "Tutorial Greek Letters". The School of Dimitsana operated from 1764 and graduated from it many bishops and scholars, among them Gregory V and Paleon Patron Germanos.
During the war of 1821, much of the library was destroyed, as the Greeks needed the paper to make cartridges at the 14 gunpowder mills of Dimitsana, who worked day and night feeding the militants. For this reason Dimitsana called "powder magazine of the Hellenic Nation."
More photos by Christos Theodorou
Photo taken in Dimitsana 220 07, Greece
Photo stats: [?]
- Uploaded on January 1, 2012
All Rights Reserved
by Christos Theodorou
- Camera: SONY DSLR-A350
- Taken on 2011/10/23 14:02:51
- Exposure: 0.002s (1/500)
- Focal Length: 26.00mm
- F/Stop: f/6.300
- ISO Speed: ISO100
- Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
- No flash