The Waipapa Point lighthouse

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Waipapa Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse located at Waipapa Point, Southland, New Zealand. It was first lit on January 1, 1884.

The lighthouse was built in response to the wreck of the passenger steamer Tararua on reefs off Waipapa Point on April 29, 1881, with the loss of 131 lives. With its sibling, the retired Kaipara North Head lighthouse, this was one of the last two wooden lighthouses built in New Zealand.

The lighthouse was automated and keepers withdrawn in 1975. It has been solar powered since 1988. A new LED beacon was installed externally on the balcony of the lighthouse in December 2008. Restoration work conducted in 2008 ensured it was weatherproof and secure from vandalism.

Show more
Show less
Save Cancel Want to use bold, italic, links?

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Eudald Trull (Kaiser)
Ottawa, Ontàrio, Canadà

Photo details

  • Uploaded on January 9, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Eudald Trull (Kaiser…
    • Camera: Canon PowerShot G12
    • Taken on 2011/11/19 06:23:08
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/320)
    • Focal Length: 30.50mm
    • F/Stop: f/4.500
    • ISO Speed: ISO125
    • Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
    • No flash

Groups