Born of the Industrial Revolution, the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct took 10 years to build between 1795 and 1805. Poised above the Dee Valley in North Wales, it still conveys canal boats across the valley along the Llangollen Canal. Technological advancements of the late 18th century demanded an efficient route to convey goods and raw materials to their markets and the legendary Thomas Telford designed this aqueduct to ensure the continuation of the canal. Eighteen 116’ high piers were constructed of local stone, bonded with a mortar made of ox blood, lime and water, to support 19 cast- iron arches, each with a 45’ span, which in turn support the iron trough. The trough is 11’10” wide, 5’3” deep and 1007’ long and the sections of the trough are bolted together and sealed with Welsh flannel, sugar syrup and lead, to hold more some 1.5 million litres of water.
Pontcysyllte, pronounced ‘pont-ku-sih-hl-ter’, means,’the bridge that connects’. This magnificent example of Georgian architecture is Grade 1 listed and was granted World Heritage Status in 2009.
Sign up to comment.
Sign in if you already did it.
Photo taken in Llangollen Rural, Wrexham, UK
Misplaced? Suggest new location