In 1885 a frame building was erected for use as a Methodist church and school.
A Dickinson congregation does not appear in official records until 1893, when a circuit minister was assigned the church.
After the first building was destroyed in the storm of 1900, a new building was built using salvaged materials from the old church. Completed in 1901, the two-story frame building was also used as a school. In 1909 property was purchased for a third facility to be built. Additions were completed in 1935, and in 1937 the congregation received its first full-time pastor.
In 1944, a church member donated funds for a new sanctuary. The name of the church was changed to Howell Memorial Methodist Church.
With cornerstones from the 1909 and 1944 sanctuaries incorporated into its design, the present structure was begun in 1975. When completed, it was renamed First United Methodist Church of Dickinson.