More info about the clock -
In the early 1920's Klein and Son acquired the old Central Bank building and modified it's windows and interiors. In 1930 Klein and Son purchased a large four faced street clock, placing it on the corner of Dexter Avenue and North Court street. The clock gradually became the time piece of downtown Montgomery and a symbol of the city.
Nearby historical marker reads -
The Lightning Route
In 1886, Montgomery became the first city in the Western Hemisphere to convert an entire street railway system to electricity. The Capital City Street Railway Co. initiated electric trolley service on one mile of the street car line the year before. Civil engineer J.A. Gaboury supervised installation of the system developed by Charles Van de Poele. The car line, fondly known as the "Lightning Route," operated until 1936. Investors in the mass transit system also were involved in the development of the early suburbs of Highland Park and Cloverdale, as well as the first public recreation area at Oak Park.