Following the death in 1916 of John B. Murphy, MD, FACS, one of the more prominent founders of the American College of Surgeons, a group of Murphy's friends formed an association to solicit funds for erection of a suitable memorial, to be built in his honor. In addition to members of the College, a large group of diverse leaders in industry, business, banking, and real estate contributed to the purchase of the vacant property immediately to the east of the Nickerson Mansion, 40 E. Erie Street in Chicago. The J.B. Murphy Memorial Auditorium Building, 50 E. Erie Street, was built between 1923 and 1926. The design is in the French Renaissance style, patterned after the Chapelle de Notre-Dame de Consolation in Paris, built in 1900. "The Murphy" has housed many ACS meetings, and offices of College staff over the years. The auditorium room itself is dominated by a tall multicolored stained-glass window, with backlight, designed and manufactured by the Willet Company of Philadelphia and presented to the College by Mr. C.H. Mathiessen, a friend of Dr. Murphy."
Sign in to comment.