Castle Rechteren is situated on an island in a dead estuary of the Vecht. A stone arch bridge gives access to the castle. It is the only castle in the province of Overijssel from the Middle Ages that has survived. The castle stands in the hamlet Rechteren under the municipality of Dalfsen.
From the foundation to the beginning of the 14th century the castle was owned by the Counts of Bentheim. In 1315 it was temporarily in the hands of Herman van Voorst and then through inheritance in possession of the Van Heeckerens, who after a while named themselfs "Rechteren". The castle is still in possession of this family and it is inhabited by descendants. Some prominent residents of Castle Rechteren were (or are): Adolf Hendrik of Rechteren (1656-1731), Jacob Henry of Rechteren Limpurg (1831-1878), Adolph Reinhard Zeger Limpurg Earl of Rechteren (1909-1962) and his daughter Elisabeth Marguerite Carola Countess Of Rechteren Limpurg. (1938).
The castle is through the ages repeatedly rebuilt and expanded and has a number of sieges, albeit battered, weathered. The castle has meters thick walls and over 40 rooms and halls. In 1591 the castle was dismantled at the request of Prince Maurits to prevent the Spaniards to seize a fortress of strength. That is why the boundary wall was demolished, the walls excavated and the main canal filled. In the 15th century the large round donjon tower was originally three-storey plus 2 floors (now the tower is 33 meters high). In the 18th century the main entrance was c hanged by adding two projecting wings. In 1896, both the main building and the tower rebuilt in Gothic Revival style. In the period from 1953 to 1957, the last renovation was reversed and the main building from the 15th century got back windows and gables in the style views of the 18th century, which meaned all neo-Gothic elements were again removed.
In 1908 and 1991 a photographer was allowed to take pictures of the interior. In the great hall many family portraits. There is a white salon in rococo style. In the dining room on the ground floor are paintings of the Zwolle painter Herman ten Oever of subjects from Greek mythology (Andromeda, the history of Io and the abduction of Europa by Zeus). In the central large 'room' again family portraits and coats of arms. Also, a ghost room, which for centuries has not opened because there used to be an imprisoned hunter with rabies .. .
At the highest part of the estate a formal garden in neo-Baroque style, designed and built in the period from 1909 to 1919 by landscape architect Leonard Springer. The rest of the land is never paid special attention to, as it often was and is flooded due to high water from river Vecht. The castle is clearly visible from the road from Vilsteren to Dalfsen, but the castle, the gardens and the park are not accessible to the public.