On March 16, 1905, five Texas City residents met for worship and Bible study. The Rev. D.L. Griffith assisted them in founding Texas City's First Baptist Church. The Rev. W.C. Ponder served as pastor for the first decade, during which time services were held in private homes. The growing congregation met at different sites until the early 1950s, when it built a sanctuary at this site. During its first 100 years, the congregation endured the 1915 hurricane, the Great Depression and the 1947 Texas City disaster. Through hardships and hard work the church persevered, and today it continues in service to its community through a variety of programs and missions.
Sign in to comment.
Photo taken in Texas City, TX, USA
Misplaced? Suggest new location