The pumping station

Not selected for Google Earth or Google Maps [?]

Comments (1)

Bruce Comfort on March 22, 2012

This building was affectionately known as Ferguson's Castle.

It must have been built at the commencement of the work on the hydraulic power network, that is in 1887 and it will have had a steam powered pump or pumps. It is close by Shed 21 so one could assume that the accumulator in the North tower of Shed 21 (pictured) was the first accumulator on the network.

The Wellington Harbour Board hydraulic network would also have been converted to electric power when either the Harris Street generation sets were enlivened, or when the Evan's Bay power plant was built. IPENZ will shortly be establishing a record (database) entry for the WHB network, to be submitted by Bill PITT and these questions will be answered definitively then.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 3, 2012
  • Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works
    by Bruce Comfort

Groups