Замок Любарта / Lubart's Castle

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (176)

Бобан Армуш on May 28, 2012

Beautiful night shot & place! L-156

diliapo & Mary C on May 28, 2012

Excellent composition. A great photo!

♥ 157 ♥

Best wishes, Dimitris

Ana María Ossorio Ló… on May 28, 2012

Very interesting explanation and super shot of the castle--like--AnaM

pedro car on May 28, 2012

Very nice night photo!

Like!

Angel Madrileño on May 28, 2012

Absolutely amazing shot Like.

Greetings. Angel

GlowSiess on May 29, 2012

moody...love the mysterious color tones..

Paul_V._Lashkevich on July 3, 2012

Автор Kostia Semytskyi Мне нравится эта фотография

Selected for Google Earth [?] - ID: 67877891

Lutsk High Castle, also known as Lubart's Castle, began its life in the mid-14th century as the fortified seat of Gediminas' son Liubartas (Lubart), the last ruler of united Galicia-Volhynia. It is the most prominent landmark of Lutsk, Ukraine and as such appears on the 200 hryvnia bill. Another city castle, built by the Czartoryski family starting from the 14th century, is now a ruin. The Kievan town of Luchesk had a wooden wall as early as 1075, when Boleslaw the Brave laid siege to it for six months. Yury Dolgoruky failed to take Lutsk after a six-weeks siege in 1149. In 1255, the walls of Lutsk were stormed by Jochi's grandson Kuremsa. The current castle, towering over the Styr River, was built mostly in the 1340s, although some parts of the earlier walls were used. It repelled sieges by numerous potentates, including Casimir the Great (1349), Jogaila (1431), and Sigismund Kęstutaitis (1436). It was there that the Lutsk Conference of 1429 took place, attended by Emperor Sigismund, Vasily II of Moscow, Jogaila, Vytautas the Great, and the voivode of Wallachia. During the long reign of Vytautas, Lutsk Castle was further fortified to guard against artillery and gunfire. The principal entrance, now bricked in, was from the west and adjoined a bridge over outer moat. Three main towers, named after Lubart, Švitrigaila and the Bishop, were built up in the course of the 16th and 17th centuries. The walls of the castle formerly enclosed St. John's Cathedral, the residence of the Grand Duke of Lithuania, and an episcopal palace. Of these buildings, only the Neoclassical palace of the bishops still stands. On July 2, 1941 1,160 Jews were murdered within the walls of the castle. There is no monument or marker for this tragedy in the castle.

Paul_V._Lashkevich on July 3, 2012

Автор Kostia Semytskyi.....((((((((в таком варианте использую текст о фотографии в некоторых моих видах Луцка. Надеюсь, Вы не огорчитесь.

Kostia Semytskyi on July 3, 2012

PaulV.Lashkevich ну це взято з вікіпедії )))

chrmt on July 8, 2012

great picture, 1 like

L. F. on July 17, 2012

163, molto bella questa fotografia notturna, ciao ciao dall'Italia. Luca

Cato75 on July 26, 2012

Wonderful illuminated night shot! Fav! Like! Friendly greetings from Germany, Torsten

Erol Barutçugil on January 7, 2013

Nicely framed night shot of very impressive castle. Like. Greetings.Erol

Dust... on January 7, 2013

liKe it ! amitié des pyrénées

Karl Pallinger on April 29, 2013

wunderschön!

Jacek Firmanty on September 14, 2013

Ładne,pozdrawiam.

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 3, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Kostia Semytskyi
    • Camera: Canon EOS 450D
    • Taken on 2012/03/03 20:15:03
    • Exposure: 1.300s
    • Focal Length: 50.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/2.800
    • ISO Speed: ISO400
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups