The National Monument is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The palace was built on the ruins of a monastery from the 15th century under the reign of King Ferdinand II as a summer residence for the Portuguese royal family. Responsible for planning and construction was the German Lieutenant-General and mining engineer Baron Wilhelm Ludwig von Eschwege, an amateur architect, who had knowledge of several castles along the Rhine river. The construction took place between 1842–1854. - View from Cruz Alta.