Shipley-Lydecker Mansion site (model for Disney's Haunted Mansion)

Selected for Google Maps and Google Earth

Comments (1)

Avagara on March 12, 2012

This normal-looking fill-in townhouse development is on the site of the Shipley-Lydecker house, a mansion built by a son-in-law of Charles Carroll (the Carroll who signed the Declaration of Independence). The modern significance of this building is that a picture of the mansion was used as a primary source by Disney designers for the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland. In 1947 the mansion was sold to West Baltimore Post 476, Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Someone tracked down historical aerial shots that show the mansion in 1966, while these townhomes appear in 1971. (If the link doesn't work, search for the address 2550 McHenry St., Baltimore, MD.)

Sign up to comment. Sign in if you already did it.

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 12, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Avagara
    • Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D90
    • Taken on 2012/03/11 10:33:11
    • Exposure: 0.001s (1/1600)
    • Focal Length: 18.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/8.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash

Groups