Tinana Barrage on Tinana Creek provides water for irrigation of sugarcane crops in the vicinity of the town of Maryborough. It only has an in-channel storage of 4750ML but some water flows to it from a irrigation channel from the Mary River upstream of Maryborough. Almost all the time it is at full supply level.
In August 1865, some of the Maryborough leaders formed the Maryborough Sugar Company with a Mauritian sugar planer as the manager and a 1000acre area of forest 7kms upstream from this scene on Tinana Creek. The land was cleared and planted principally by the labours of young male immigrants who arrived from Schleswig-Holstein (Germany) on "Sophie" on 30 August 1865. The young men and some single girls were recruited directly from the vessel that brought them into Maryborough, and they ate their first meal from a half-coconut shell at midnight 30 Aug 1865 on the bank of Tinana Creek.