Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Kepnock High School & Stehbens Park, Bundaberg, Queensland

Kepnock State High School is a large secondary school in eastern Bundaberg.

It is sited on land first selected in 1871 by Samuel Smyth. The land opposite the School is now a park, Stehbens Park, and a residential area.

This land, across Kepnock Rd, was first selected in 1871 by Claus Johann "John" Stehbens when it was a dense vineforest scrub. He called his pioneer farm, "Forest View" being surrounded by dense vineforest scrub. John Stehbens with the assistance of his brothers and father, Detlef, cleared the land, built a home and barn, dug and brick-lined a deep well and created a successful farm, essentially because of Detlef's well and hardwork. (Detlef was a bricklayer and made the bricks nearby.)

Bundaberg City Council named the central road in the estate, Stehbens Drive and the park, Stehbens Park, in honour of this pioneer German-Australian family.

As the sugar industry began in Bundaberg, John Stehbens sold this land with its well and other improvements in 1883 to William Cottier who in turn sold it in Thomas Young, who owned an adjacent farm that he had called "Kepnock".

With the proceeds of the sale of "Forest View", Stehbens was able to buy a far larger farm with fresh water frontage on the Burnett River upstream, as well as a number of town blocks. The investment in the well and the hardwork had paid off.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on March 17, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Ian Stehbens