Bundaberg Irrigation Area is one of 8 major irrigation districts in Queensland, 5 of which support the sugar industry. One of the distribution canals is seen in this image as it flows through canefields and then passes beneath Lovers Walk and Bundaberg Ring Road. The irrigation project commenced in the 1970s.
The area to the left of the large sweeping curve of the ring road through which the canal passes was first selected by Wilhelm Stehbens (aka Bill Stebhens) in 1873. The remnant forest plot and three farmsteads are on this land today, originally a 32Ha selection.
The road on the left of the photo is Elverys Road. William Elvery arrived in Maryborough from England in 1875, and in 1876 selected 64Ha pastoral land on the south side of what is now Elverys Road. But before William Elvery selected his land, his daughter Hannah Elizabeth (Lizzie) had married Wilhelm Stehbens. So Bill Stehbens and his father-in-law, Bill Elvery lived opposite each other and worked together to help each other establish themselves in the Colony of Queensland.
Many Elvery and Stehbens descendants live in the Bundaberg region today.