1789 During a severe winter storm 70 sailing ships and 600 men were lost off the Norfolk Coast. An inquiry, which drew attention to the complete lack of warning lights between the fire beacon at Cromer and the candle-powered light at Winterton, resulted in Trinity House building two lighthouses at Happisburgh.
In 1791 the 2 Lighthouses, the LOW LIGHT on the Cliff Top and the HIGH LIGHT, came into operation on the evening of New Year's Day, illumination being by many candles housed in the lantern surmounting each tower. In 1883 The LOW LIGHT, threatened by coast erosion was withdrawn from service and demolished.
This lighthouse is the the HIGH LIGHT and is at present about 400 yards inland, but coastal erosion at Happisburgh (Haysbro)is ongoing, and more cliff-side properties are soon to be demolished.