The Monument was designed in 1921 by Clyde Young, and is a war memorial to the dead of the 3 parishes of Elveden, Icklingham and Eriswell, whose boundaries meet at this point, who died in the Great War, 1914-1919. It is in the form of a Corinthian column about 30 metres high and surmounted by an urn. The lofty square moulded base contains a door in the north face, giving access to a newel stair which rises the full height of the monument. On 3 faces are plaques bearing the names of the dead from each of the respective parishes; added to each is a further plaque with names of those who died in the war of 1939-1945. It was unveiled by FM Sir Henry Wilson on 21 Nov 1921
As a matter of further interest, Elvedon means the valley of the elves.