Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Duck Bridge - upstream side

Duck Bridge takes its name from George Duck, a local master stonemason who restored it in the early 18th century, though when constructed in 1345 it was called Castle Bridge due to it's close proximity with Danby Castle just 500 yards away. It is believed to be one of the finest existing examples of what is known as a packhorse or bow bridge and was in regular use by vehicles crossing the river Esk until the late 1970's when such access was prohibited as a preservation measure and traffic now uses the ford instead . The measure post seems quite high but frequently the river rises to a level where the water travels around the bridge as well as through it !

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on April 7, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Yorkshire Sam
    • Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D80
    • Taken on 2012/04/05 16:40:57
    • Exposure: 0.020s (1/50)
    • Focal Length: 40.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/20.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO160
    • Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
    • No flash