BRIEF HISTORY OF THE OLD TREASURY BUILDING
The present building was completed in 1894, replacing a wooden structure which also had an archway through which people arriving and leaving the island would pass leading to the building being referred to as ‘The Gateway to Basseterre’.
This building has served several generations of public servants as almost every department of Government has at one time been located in it. Inappropriate maintenance and a series of hurricanes between 1989 and 1999 left the building in a terrible state of disrepair. In 1999 a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Government and the St. Christopher Heritage Society which would lead to efforts of restoration and its conversion to a National Museum. The old Treasury Building, now the National Museum, remains one of the largest public buildings in the town of Basseterre.