The Akrocorinth is 575 meters of rock that dominates the plain of Corinth. At the foot of it, was built the Ancient Corinth and the rock due to its morphology, has been used since ancient times as a castle (Citadel).
The Akrocorinth fortified for the first time since the tyrant Periander and his father Kypselos the 7th-6th century BC and slowly evolved into the Acropolis. The Macedonians in the 4th century BC repaired and strengthened the walls. In 146 BC the Roman general Lucius Mommios Achaian destroyed Corinth and its acropolis, occupying officially Greece. Julius Caesar repaired the castle in 44 BC. Another repair is the sixth century by Justinian, and some additions occur until the 12th century. In 1210 the castle was conquered by the Franks and the defender Leo Sgouros kills himself by jumping on horseback from the walls. The Franks made many repairs. Then Akrocorinth changes hands. Granted on consecutive Italian families Gkravina Atsagioli and to eventually to Theodore Paleologus who sells it for economic reasons on Joannites Knights, return it by them in 1404. In 1458 Mohammed II the Conqueror captured the castle that defended the Byzantine Matthew Asan. In 1687 the castle fell into the hands of the Venetians who repair and give it its present form. A few years later, in 1715, the Turks besieged the Akrocorinth and occupy it. The castle remained in them until 1827 when he surrendered to the Greeks during the Greek Revolution of 1821.
(informations from Wikipedia)