The church was founded in 1342 by King Kazimierz the Great. Conceived in the Gothic style, its stark, lofty interiors are given a surprising and marvellous dash by the gilded furniture and altar-piece. These elements were largely added during the 17th century by the rich burghers who patronized this mighty parish church. An evocative statue of one of these fellows emerges from the wall of the southern aisle. He is carved in stone with a plumed helmet at his feet and a sword brandished in his right hand. A delightful touch can also be found in the pulpit. This golden boat, replete with oars and a mast, appears to sail across the church. It is held up by two bronze mermaids and a couple of over-weight looking fish.