Lincoln Road Mall. Around 1912, Carl Fisher had this road cleared of mangrove forest and it eventually became the town's social center.
Around 1960, Miami Beach architect Morris Lapidus, was commissioned to redesign Lincoln Road. Lapidus's design, complete with gardens, fountains and an amphitheater, reflected the Miami Modern Architecture, or "MiMo", 50's style. This road was closed to traffic and became one of the nation's first pedestrian malls.
Carl Fisher, the wealthy original developer of Miami Beach, envisioned Lincoln Road to be the Miami Beach counterpart to Fifth Avenue in New York, or Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles. And indeed in the boom times of South Beach in the 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's, it could match those upscale fashionable shopping districts.
Most restaurants offer indoor/ outdoor seating, including in the middle of the pedestrian mall area. People watching on Lincoln Road is the best in the world. There seems to be a constant flow of stunningly attractive women and men passing by, and many wear fashionable clothes or almost nothing with a major dose of sexy.