Cracow. The Ghetto Heroes' Square.
Selected for Google Earth [?] - ID: 71840115
This memorial monument for the murdered Jews of the Podgorze Ghetto in Krakow is located at Plac Bohaterów Getta (the Ghetto Heroes' Square), before 1948 known as Plac Zgody (the Concordia Square). It was constructed by Krakow architects Piotr Lewicki and Kazimierz Łatak and includes 33 illuminated chairs (1.4 m high) in the square and 37 smaller chairs (1.2 m high) standing on the edge of the square and at the tram stops. The fundamental symbolical idea behind the project is a stylistic representation of all the old furniture being thrown out onto the so-called Umschlagplatz at the Podgorze Ghetto, when the inhabitants of the ghetto had finally been assembled by the German SS in so-called Aktionen to be sent to death.