The castle is located in Ahrensburg, named after the Castle District in the southern town of Ahrensburg in Schleswig-Holstein, about 30 kilometers northeast of Hamburg's city center. The small moated castle is actually a mansion and as such was once the center of an aristocratic estate. The building is, however, since the 18th Century called Castle.
Originally protected by simple Renaissance fortifications was in the 16th Century in possession of various lines of the Holstein nobility belonging to the Rantzau family. After a period of economic decline the estate and castle in the 18th Century came in possession of the family raised to the peerage Schimmelmann, under which the mansion was transformed into a lavish country estate. The mold's remained for several generations in Ahrensburg, then the property was sold in 1932. After the castle had served in the Second World War for different purposes, it now houses a museum with a focus on the Schleswig-Holstein aristocratic culture.
The castle is one of the masterpieces of Renaissance architecture in Schleswig-Holstein. It is one of the most famous attractions of the state and is open to the public. The castle grounds next to the mansion, the former Gutskapelle, with their stalls and a so-called God in the style of English landscape gardens designed Castle Park**