Over 700 years of building, demolition, reconstruction and preservation have bequeathed a castle, with a structure combining all the styles from Gothic to Classical within its walls. Great halls in the attic, stables on the fifth floor, the vault underneath and the stately living quarters one floor lower – when it comes to architecture, everything appears to be upside down, for the building grew from top to bottom. Here is the oldest part of the construction – the tower – with its foundations five floors above the classical conservatory, which was built centuries later. The reason for this “fortified curiosity”, as it was called in a description of the castle in 1879, is the peculiar growth of the structures and the rock together. From outside, the structure appears to grow around the cliff to the valley floor, but from the inside you can see the rock has been used as walls and flooring in the stairwells and halls as a secure foundation. Despite the many changes in architectural styles throughout the centuries, a deliberate uniformity in design, which has helped keep a vitality in the building up to now, has been achieved. Even if the outward appearance has changed from the days of a small castle to a magnificently decorated “great Belvedere on high battlements”, the medieval character of the palace remains at the core. It has been the obligation of all those who have owned the building to maintain this tradition.