Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Marialva

This site was a fortress of the Lusitan Aravos tribe, which was later occupied by Romans, Visigoths and Moors. In 1063 it was reconquered by Fernando Magno, king of Leon and Castille. D. Afonso Henriques, the 1st king of Portugal, gave him the Letter of Provincial and began construction of the castle. In the fifteenth century, D. Afonso V granted him the title of county, and D. Vasco Fernandes Coutinho received the title of 1st Count of Marialva. In 1758 with the sentencing to death of the Marquis of Tavora, mayor of the village at that time, begins to decay Marialva. From its grand past left these beautiful ruins.

(P) Foi este sítio um castro Lusitano, da tribo dos Aravos, que posteriormente foi ocupado por Romanos, Visigodos e Mouros. Em 1063 foi reconquistado por Fernando Magno, rei de Leão e Castela. D. Afonso Henriques passou-lhe Carta de Foral e iniciou a construção do castelo. No século XV, D. Afonso V concedeu-lhe o título de condado, tendo D. Vasco Fernandes Coutinho recebido o título de 1º Conde de Marialva. Em 1758 com o sentenciamento à morte do Marquês de Távora, alcaide da vila nessa época, começa a decadência de Marialva. Do seu grandioso passado restam estas belas ruínas.

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on May 13, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Filipe Antunes
    • Camera: Canon EOS 20D
    • Taken on 2012/04/10 10:59:24
    • Exposure: 0.004s (1/250)
    • Focal Length: 18.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/10.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash