JAM_3577 Several years ago the Quinault River cut a new channel within a few meters of the historic Enchanted Valley Chalet. The chalet was built in 1930-31 for the Olympic Recreation Company by Tom E. Criswell and his son Glenn, about 13 miles (21km) from the nearest road access. It was a popular destination for hikers and horse tours through the 1940s. The chalet was restored in 1983-84 by the Olympians Hiking Club of Hoquiam. During early 2014, the river actually undermined the west side of the building.