This building is in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Galveston Custom House is also known as the "Old Customhouse," a Greek Revival-style two-story red brick structure at Twentieth and Post Office streets, was constructed between 1858 and 1861. Some believe it was the first Galveston building designed by an architect.
The building was completed on the eve of the Civil War. It was used only briefly before the outbreak of the war, when it was turned over to the Confederacy. During the conflict it probably took shelling during the battle of Galveston in 1863 and was the site of a "bread riot" initiated by wives of absent Confederate soldiers who stormed the building demanding flour. On June 2, 1865, Union forces took symbolic possession of the site by raising a flag, and the war officially ended there three days later. A new customhouse was built in 1891, and the old structure subsequently housed Federal offices, served as a post office and a Federal Court House.