Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

Fisgard Light at entrance to Esquimalt Harbour seen from Fort Rodd Hill fortifications.

Fort Rodd Hill: From 1878 to 1956 coast artillery installations protected the City of Victoria and the naval base at Esquimalt. Temporary batteries [of canons] were constructed in response to the Anglo-Russian crisis of 1878, and in the 1890s Canada negotiated with Great Britain for the building of a series of permanent defences to be manned by British troops. Canada took control of these fortifications in 1906 and, by the end of the Second World War, they had been rebuilt and greatly expanded. They were declared obsolete in 1956. [Government of Canada Monument]

Show more
Show less
Victoria, BC, Canada

Photo details

  • Uploaded on June 4, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by William Sturrock
    • Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D3
    • Taken on 2012/06/03 10:13:17
    • Exposure: 0.003s (1/400)
    • Focal Length: 70.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/14.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO400
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash