The monastery is located in the village of Vodoca, in the region of Strumica. The church was originally devoted to the Holy Mother. It was built in five phases, from VIII/XI to XVI centuries. The church was expanded in the XI - XII century. In the XIV century a parvis was constructed. The monastery was the seat of the Strumica Episcopate, whose archbishops were also called "vodacki". The earliest record of the Strumica Episcopate is in the 1018 charter of Vasillius II, on the occasion of the fall of the Samuel's state. In a 1376 Hilandar act there is a mention of an archbishop Danil of Vodacki. The ruins of his church are mentioned for the first time in the travels' records of Viktor Grigirivic. In his description of the monastery, the Archimandrite Gerasim wrote that in 1896 it was not seriously ruined and that only the dome and the doors should be renovated. In a disastrous 1931 earthquake the vaults fell and it ceased to be a cult location. However, the monastery was recently renovated. This medieval monument was crucial for the education process in the region of Strumica.