This house is in the Register Registry of Historic Places.
Built in 1847, the Powhatan House is considered one of Texas' most beautiful Greek revival homes. The Doric columns are from Maine. Before being moved to its present location, the existing home was originally the central section of an early hotel.
Powhatan House has served as orphanage, military academy, residence, and set for a motion picture. Since 1965 it has served as the Galveston Garden Club headquarters.
In the foreground are oleander flowering shrubs, which Galveston is famous for.