Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.

✯ Portofino

According to Pliny the Elder, Portofino was founded by the Romans and named Portus Delphini, or Port of the Dolphin, because of the large number of dolphins that inhabited the Tigullian Gulf.

The village is mentioned in a diploma from 986 by Adelaide of Italy, which assigned it to the nearby Abbey of San Fruttoso di Capodimonte. In 1171, together with the neighbouring Santa Margherita Ligure, it was included in Rapallo's commune jurisdiction. After 1229 it was part of the Republic of Genoa. The town's natural harbour supported a fleet of fishing boats, but was somewhat too cramped to provide more than a temporary safe haven for the growing merchant marine of the Republic of Genoa.

In 1409 Portofino was sold to the Republic of Florence by Charles VI of France, but when the latter was ousted from Genoa the Florentine gave it back. In the 15th century it was a fief of families such as the Fieschi, Spinola, Adorno and Doria.

In 1815 it became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia and, from 1861, of the unified Kingdom of Italy.

In the late 19th century, first British, then other Northern European aristocratic tourists began to visit Portofino, which they reached by horse and cart from Santa Margherita Ligure. Aubrey Herbert was one of the more famous Englishmen to maintain a villa at Portofino. Eventually more expatriates built expensive vacation houses, and by 1950 tourism had supplanted fishing as the town's chief industry, and the waterfront was a continuous ring of restaurants and cafés.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Según Plinio el Viejo, el pueblo de Portofino fue fundado durante el Imperio Romano con el nombre de Portus Delphini debido a la gran población de delfines en el Golfo del Tigullio. La villa está citada en un diploma del año 986 de Adelaide del Sacro Romano Impero, esposa de Lotario II d'Italia, en el cual venía oficializada la donación de la villa a la vecina abadía benedictina de San Fruttuoso di Capodimonte (hoy en el territorio comunal de Camogli).

En el año 1171 la pequeña aldea marina fue subordinada al control administrativo junto a la antigua Santa Margherita Ligure, del la jurisdicción de Rapallo que incluyó a la villa en su territorio comunal. A partir del año 1229 se transforma en integrante de la República de Génova, así como todo el territorio de Rapallo, transformándose así en el refugio de la marina genovesa, gracias a su puerto natural.

En el año 1409 fue vendido a Florencia por el emperador Carlos VI de Francia, desligándolo de Génova. Sin embargo, los mismos florentinos lo restituyeron poco después. Durante el siglo XV estuvo en distintas administración familiares, desde los Fregoso a los Spinola, los Fieschi, los Adorno y los Doria.

En el año 1814 vendrá incorporado establemente al Reino de Cerdeña, como lo establecerá el Congreso de Viena, como otras comunas de la República de Liguria, y sucesivamente al Reino de Italia en el año 1861.

Show more
Show less
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Photo details

  • Uploaded on June 13, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Patricia Pato
    • Camera: SONY DSC-W30
    • Taken on 2009/09/21 06:14:56
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/160)
    • Focal Length: 6.30mm
    • F/Stop: f/7.100
    • ISO Speed: ISO80
    • Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV
    • No flash