Panoramio is closing. Learn how to back up your data.


KOZA HAN ,THE BURSA SİLK BAZAAR "Koza Han",the Bursa Silk Bazaar,was built by Sultan Bayazit II as a real estate in order to provide income to his soup kitchen in İstanbul.İts construction was started in 895 AH(1940),and completed in 896 AH(1491).The architect of this Han which was builtwithin 19 months time was Abdul-Ula bin Pulad Shan.The construction's fiduciary was Şücca bin Karaca.The lords Hajji Yusuf bin Abdullah bey,Hayrettin bin Hamza bey and Kemal bey acted as clerks (896).İn different periods,"Koza Han"is mentioned as "Han-ı Cedit Evvel"("the Cedit Evvel Bazaar"),"Şimşek Hanı"("the Lightning Bazaar")"Sırmakeş Hanı"("the Sirmakech Bazaar"),"Beylik Kervansaray"(the"SultanateCaravanserai"),"Beylik Hanı"(the "Sultanate Bazaar"),"Cedid-i Amine"(the "New Security"),and "Beylik Yeni Kervansaray"(The "New Sultanate Caravanserai"). Thjis Han consists of a two-storey main block being located around a nearly square-shaped ,rectangular courtyard,and of a second courtyard section located to the east of it called "Develik",or the "Camel Stable",comprising stables and warehouses.The Han's main entrance gate is located at its northern front."taç Kapı",or the "Crown Gate",has a wonderful appearance,with its round arches and its plait relief decoration made from stone.As seen in the Seljuk tradition,this building reflects the architectural porticoshape which protrudes the building itself. Focussing on both the elegance of all these ornaments and the majesty of their architecture at "TaçKapı",or the "Crown Gate",it also symbolizes the power of Bayezit II. The building in wihch we can find small shops has a superstructure wiht a salient entrance cavity with wall rosettes,and a vaulted roof.From here,we enter into an area which is covered with round vaulting,and which opens towards the courtyard.İt has a total of 95 rooms,45 and 50 being located on the ground floor and on the upper floor,respectively.İn order to come to the Han'supper floor,we climb the stairs at the portico.We reach the section where the stables and warehouses were located by passing through the eastern gate.İn the centre of the courtyard,there is a "mesjid",or small mosque,made of stone,wiht a fountain below;and its superstructure.The mesjid with its octagonal plan rests on eight pedestals at its corners,and another one in its centre. The construction technique of "Koza Han"consists in the alternate application of bricks and hewn square stones.The building was restored in 1630,1671 and 1784,respectively.The mesjid in its centre,however,was restored in 1946 and 2007,respectively.

"Koza Han"which always existed with its identity of being an important centre of trade,was,until the near past,a Han where a market place for cocoons was established,and where cut-throatbargaining was made.Today,it continues to be a Han where a big number of tradesmen being in the silk trade are located,rather than its identity to be a centre of trade.

"Koza Han" constantly accommodates its visitors as an important resting and shopping place where these can have a tea or a coffee,together with some sweet conversation within the coolness of the giant planes and the linden trees...

Show more
Show less

Photo details

  • Uploaded on June 18, 2012
  • © All Rights Reserved
    by Nurcan Yahsi
    • Taken on 2012/04/14 17:26:19
    • Exposure: 0.006s (1/160)
    • Focal Length: 24.00mm
    • F/Stop: f/4.000
    • ISO Speed: ISO200
    • Exposure Bias: 0.33 EV
    • No flash