Four interconnected sandstone caves on a backwater portion of R.Trent.
The name Anchor Church is derived from the term Anchorite, because it is thought to have been the cell of an Anchorite hermit, St Hardulph, who lived and prayed here in the 6th and 7th century.
In the Middle Ages, the caves were used by a monk named Bernard, who died here whilst doing penance for his involvement in some unknown crime. Records of the caves exist from 1658 when it is mentioned in Repton church records.
The Burdett family of Foremarke Hall enlarged the caves to the present size in the 18th century, fitting a door in 1845 and some additional brickwork, including a set of steps to the main entrance. Sir Francis Burdett used the caves as a summerhouse and held picnics there.